Monday, July 6, 2009

Have you ever been locked in?

This is a picture of the room Dusty, Kaylee, and I got locked in for 5 hours on Sunday. It was not a very fun experience. A while back, Nate and I turned Dusty's door knob around, so we could lock him in his room when he wouldn't go to sleep. Well, yesterday we were all ready for church and I went in here to get Dusty clothes on and he closed the door behind me. Little did I know that the door was locked.
Where was Nate? Calling me to let me know that he had to go up on the mountain to fix a clogged pipe.
Where was my phone? In my purse sitting on the couch. GREAT!
How was I going to get out? I don't know.
Maybe Nate would come home before he went up the mountain? No, he just figured I had already gone to church. Had it have been any other day and he probably would have.
Maybe I could find something in the room to unscrew the door knob off the door? Nope, NOTHING!
Well, after an hour of being stuck in there, trying to figure out how to get out, waiting and hoping Nate would come home, we all fell asleep.
Maybe we could sleep for a while and wait for Fast Offerings to come, then yell out the window to come to the back of the house and save us, check our doors, find us a phone? No, I was too embarrassed, but if that is what it came down to I guess it will work.
I woke up first, and kept trying to think of something.
Maybe I could climb out the window? No, the ground is too far down and I am not sure that the garage is open and I am pretty sure all the doors are locked.
What should I do? I tried picking the lock with a hanger, I have no idea how to pick a lock and I think a hanger is too big. Looking around the room, I spotted the shelf in Dusty's closet.
By this time the kids are awake.
Maybe I could put that on the ground outside as a stool? Tried it and I couldn't reach the shelf with my feet. It probably wouldn't be a good idea for me to go out, because I wouldn't be able to get back in and that just wouldn't work for the kids sake.
BUT...Maybe I could lower Dusty down to it? No he is too scared.
BUT...Kaylee isn't!
BUT...She doesn't know how to open doors.
BUT...She can at least go see if the garage is open and then maybe I can coax Dusty outside? Nope the garage is not open.
OK WE HAVE BEEN IN HERE FOREVER! WHAT CAN I DO? I start begging Dusty to get out and go to the neighbors and tell them I need help.
FINALLY...he says yes! Only if Kaylee goes with him.
OK THIS IS IT! DUSTY AND KAYLEE ARE OUT THE WINDOW!
I hope they can focus on what to do and not get side track! I have been waiting for about five minutes.
THEN...the front door opens!
YAY! ITS DUSTY! I start knocking on his door and he opens it and says "I saved you mom, we're not stuck anymore!" Then he says,"Breezy didn't answer the door, she must be sleeping, so we just came home!"
NOW I REMEMBER! We had to take Corinne home this morning and we went out the front door! Good job Dusty and Kaylee! We are not stuck anymore!
Then Fast offerings comes 10 mintues later. We will deffinitely be fixing Dusty's door knob.
Now...back to my first question, Have you ever been locked in a room before?

(Please keep reading, I have posted quite a few things today, we have had a busy couple of weeks, and I didn't have anything going on today, so I have been blogging all day!)

8 comments:

Chavonne said...

I don't think I've ever been stuck before, and if I have, it doesn't compare to THAT one. How discouraging! Luckily, you have two very smart kids who saved you.

Jana Homer said...

Wow, I think if that happened to me a whole different outcome would happen. Lucky you! Looks like you had a fun 4th of July!

Lauren said...

Oh my goodness!!!
I'm so glad you got out!
And no.. I don't think I've been locked in before. Locked out, yes.

J and Heather said...

Your kids are such cuties. They save their mommy!! You always have very entertaining stories. I love reading your blog. I have been locked in a bathroom before. It was ok but it got boring after awhile.

ShEiLa said...

Felicia
this story is unbelievable. Yet I know it is true. It should be published in a magazine somewhere.

ToOdLeS.

ps.
I think that locked in is worse than locked out. unless you are locked out in a backyard with high walls and the kids you are watching are inside. That is what happened to my sister... a long time ago.

Brandon and Amanda Brady said...

I can't believe that. I'm glad that your kids were able to save the day! That's an awesome story though.

Ashley said...

Oh my heck,I'm so sorry that happened! Well, maybe someday you can laugh about it. Someday :)

Syme Family said...

I am so sorry you got locked in. That has happened to me a couple of times. Once when I was tending me and some of the kids went to play outside and I shut the door behind us not knowing it was locked and locked the sleeping baby inside.
Then once me and my sister got locked in our dogs cage for a couple hours when we were kids.

Nathan Kay and Felicia May