Thursday we brought the sheep off the mountain. They looked really good, its amazing how the lambs look almost as big as the moms when they come down. Nate and his brother Easton left the house about 5:30 to get up the mountain. Nate's mom and grandparents and I met them at a clearing close to the bottom of the mtn., called Taylor's Flat, for lunch. We had sloppy joes and Ethel's yummy potato salad. Then, the kids and I followed them the rest of the way back to the ranch in the car. Kaylee fell asleep before we were half way there, but Dusty enjoyed watching them until he finally sacked out on Ethel's lap when we were about there.
Here is Nate and Easton just getting to Taylor's Flat.
Here are the sheep on Taylor's Flat.
Easton and Nate pushing the sheep, we're almost there. It is interesting how every year we do this and we take the same route and pass the same houses, but there are always people out on their porches taking pictures like they are so amazed there is a huge herd of sheep going through town:).
Here is another picture with the dogs doing their job, just after we crossed the highway. I am always amazed by these dogs. They are trained by whistles. The hired hand, Javier and Sylvestre, just whistle and they know just what to do, whether it is just pushing them up or going all the way around them and heading them off.
There is our sheep adventure for the week!




6 comments:
That's such an awesome sight!! I've trailed sheep only once before. That brought back a fun memory
That brings back so many memories of my childhood. My dad raised about 3000 head of sheep when I was growing up and so I know all about herding sheep. I loved growing up on a farm. I miss it a lot.
That is so funny! I've actually incountered a similar sheep jam in Utah before! Maybe it was your family's sheep!
I was always told you know when you're in Logandale when a traffic jam is because of a Hardy tractor! Don't you love being a country girl?!!!
I'm one of those that will never tire of the seeing the sheep on the road and snapping a few pictures since it only happens a few times each year.
Felicia, I think it would be AWESOME if you took pictures of the people taking pictures of your sheep. LOL.
I seriosly thought about it. After I blogged that about people taking pictures, I thought about how maybe they had a blog and maybe they were going to blog about their yearly sheep encounter. haha
Hey! So hobo dinners (aka tin foil dinners) are dinners wrapped in tin foil and thrown in the fire for a bit, mostly consiting of hamburger, patatoes, onions, chase likes pineapple,(its actually good) and then some carrots. Some people like chicken. They are the best! As for the hobo part, I guess its because a hobo invented them :) I don't know?? Your sheep are awesome. When I was little we used to take in bum lambs and bottle feed them. It was great until there was a death experience. A sad day at the terril house.
Post a Comment