Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My Kids In The Christmas Spirit

Before I posted about our Christmas I wanted to post the spirit of Christmas that has been in our home.
About 8 days into December Dusty went to school and learned about service. The mom teaching that day made paper chains to help countdown to Christmas and on each link was a service. Whenever they completed their service that day they get a star on their service chart, and when it was gone then it was Christmas! She sent one home for Kaylee as well, so they both got a paper chain.
Let me tell you what, they were so excited! Everyday they woke up and asked me to read their "name", as they called it, so they could get a star. They were so cute and were so willing to do every service! I thought it was such a cute idea and my kids loved it! I loved seeing my kids like this.
On another subject, kids will be kids and of course they always know when it is Christmas time and my kids were letting me know all day, everyday, what they wanted for Christmas. For example, we are sitting down watching tv and then the commercials come on. My kids either say, "I want that, Mom", or "Dusty/Kaylee wants that." So I say,"Ok ask Santa." It got to the point that they said it to every toy they saw on tv and if I didn't respond then they would get mad at me and say "Mom, you have to say, Ask Santa!" What am I going to say now that Christmas is over?
During the end of November we started asking the kids what they wanted to ask Santa for, for Christmas. At first Kaylee's response was always a pink computer. Then as time went on it changed to another baby. Dusty's response was always another Thomas with more tracks. When they finally got to sit on Santa's lap, Dusty of course asked for another Thomas, and Kaylee asked for a dolly?(Ok, we never heard her ask for that before). Well, they saw Santa at their Great Grandparents, and they had presents wrapped for Santa to give to the kids, and they got exactly what they asked for. Another Thomas and a Dolly! I guess Santa knew them pretty well!
I have really enjoyed the Christmas spirit we have had in our home this year. And as you all know, Christmas is suppose to be about giving and not receiving. I am so proud of how the kids acted when they went to get presents for each other and for their cousins. They were so excited and proud of the present they picked out.
After we got those presents wrapped we stuck them under the tree and Dusty knew which one was his from Kaylee and there was one day that he was asking me constantly what it was and I kept trying to explain that it was a surprise and that he had to wait till Christmas to open it. It got so bad that Kaylee finally told him it was a truck and Dusty looked at me and said, "It is?" So I said I don't know you will have to wait. So apparently that helped because he stopped. BUT, then later that day he started asking if Kaylee could open the present he got her. So there we went again. Luckily, someone came to the door and he lost all interest in that and forgot about it. After that day, he asked a few more times, but thank goodness it wasn't so dramatic!:)
I love my kids and I am so glad that I am their mom and have the opportunity to teach them things like this. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I will get our Christmas pictures up soon!

3 comments:

ShEiLa said...

I was waiting for your new post.

It is refreshing to hear that some are helping kids to learn about the true spirit of Christmas and giving of ones self.

I am glad your family enjoyed the holidays.

Oh by the way...
cute kids.

ToOdLeS.

Amanda Monk said...

That is honestly one of the cutest x-mas cards!

J and Heather said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! I am very excited for you and your race this month. I love the feeling afterwards, ya I'm in pain, sore and exhausted but I finished. I still can't run just right, but I'm getting there. Keep me updated on your run. No worries about the xmas Card, and thanks for letting me know. Love and miss you!!!

Nathan Kay and Felicia May