No one probably cares to hear this anymore, but I need to write it down before I forget it.
I went in for my 37 week appointment and found out that I had preclampsia. I honestly can't explain what it is, but the symptoms are high blood pressure, protein in your urine, and swelling. I had all of them and I didn't have any of them with my other pregnancies. They told me that I would have to go in the hospital for non stress tests a couple times a week, to make sure the baby was ok and if he didn't come by 39 weeks then they would have to start me. If my blood pressure gets too high then I could seizure, and if we let it go to long with out watching then it could get bad for the baby.
I was a little nervous that day because there was a possibility that I would have to be started that night depending on how the baby was doing. But I went in and he was fine and they sent me home. They gave me signs to watch for, so that I could be aware of what to do in between my hospital visits. I had to take it really easy and not do much, which wasn't good because I had plans that weekend to get the house ready for him to come and now I couldn't. My mom and sister Chavonne saved me there and came over and got my house ready for the baby.
On Monday the 18th I went in for the 3rd non stress test. He was still doing just fine, but my blood pressure was still high. I went home and about an hour after I got home I started having contractions regularly every 3 minutes. So I called Nate and warned him that we were most likely going to be having him that night, packed my bag, and picked up the house a little. Nate came home and made some dinner for him and the kids. I waited until they were done, Nate took the kids to his grandparents and we went in to the hospital at about 6:30.
Then we waited.....I always progress very slowly until I dilate to a 7 and then the baby comes soon after that. They started me on magnesium to help control my blood pressure, because it was still pretty high and if it got too high then I would be at risk for seizures. (I hated that, I was sooo hot, and it made me feel so weird. The whole next day after he was born, my eyes were burning, my nose felt stuffy when it wasn't, my teeth were sensitive, and my tongue felt numb. It was not fun, I felt like a whole new person when I was finally able to go off of it.)
When I got to a 6 they called the doctor to tell her where I was, she asked me to remind her how my other labors went, so we told her that they progress slowly but when I get to about a 7 my water breaks and the baby is born within the next half hour. (She didn't make it to Kaylee's birth).
The anesthesiologist came in and said he was going home and wanted to double check on my decision to not have the epidural. I took one look at him and thought about the huge needle being stuck in my back and said "Nope". Then I got up to go to the bathroom after that, I was having painful contractions the whole time, then I came and laid back down, I was in a lot of pain, they told me that my doctor was getting ready to come up, I was in a lot of pain, the nurse was trying to get everything ready, I was in a lot of pain, the breathing specialist guy came in, I started pushing, my water burst like a water balloon, I looked at the nurse standing at my side, told her he was coming, thought I was going to die, pushed the head out, watched her run to the bottom of the bed, (the bed was not set up like it was supposed to be and my feet were not in the stirrup things) I pushed him the rest of the way out, the breathing specialist guy ran over to see how he could help, Kort took his first breath and started crying, the nurse was quite nervous, I felt much much better, she clamped and cut the chord, they took him over to the little bed thing where they weigh him and stuff, and my doctor walked in to find out that she missed it again. I went from a 6 to having the baby in 10 minutes. My nurse delivered her very first baby. Kort Kay Thomson was born at 2:32 am on October 19th!




3 comments:
Aww this made me cry! That is so crazy you had him that fast! I imagine that is a blessing since you had no epidural, just get it done!! Good job!! Looks like you didn't even need a dr, you knew just what to do haha! He is so cute, I hope to see you soon!!
I really think doctors and nurses should pay more attention to what the Mother is saying... afterall she knows her body better than anyone. Seriously medical people... are you kidding me???
It all worked out great so I am happy for you Felicia.
ToOdLeS.
I care... and I loved reading your story. That is amazing, you just popped him right out. And very exciting for the nurse. I know I keep on saying it, but your family is too adorable. Hope to see you sometime in the next few months. Miss and love you!
Post a Comment